Friday, August 03, 2012

Youtube and copyright

We've all noticed the not-so-subtle changes happening in Youtube. Advertising has almost killed the enjoyment on way too many videos, and copyright clamp downs is making it far less useful for finding recordings of significant TV broadcasting events, and other such things that are in the realm of copyright. On the one hand, it is remarkable, the technology that must be in play to automate Youtube's clamp down. Take this not so remarkable video I shot in Singapore.

 

It's set in the Far East Shopping Plaza. It's part of a series of mobile videos I shot of my daughter Eve. The audio in the video is the sound system of the shop I was standing next to while making the recording. Youtube has identified that track, and blocked the video in Germany for my alleged copyright infringement.


Naturally, I've disputed the copyright claim, on the grounds of "Fair Use". It is interesting to note that an option in the dispute process is "I'm not using this for commercial purposes". I didn't see educational use as an option, but I suppose that would come under Fair Use as they call it in the US. 

So, if you're in Germany, I dunno why, but you probably can't watch the video I'm referring to here. Don't worry, you're not missing much, but the way Youtube is managing copyright is interesting.

No comments: