Thursday, April 13, 2006

God Darned Yahoos!

Anyone else noticing who bloody slow Flickr and is these days? Wouldn't be anything to do with those yahoos and their servers would it? Isn't this all our local IT guys need to say, "see, we told you so! You can't rely on Google and Yahoo, you should rely on me, Sam and our Microsoft servers instead!"

Luckily I don't put all my eggs in the one basket, but I need to do better. Mike Coghlan is using BubbleShare for his pictures in a nice way, creating an audio visual slide show, then copying the code and displaying it in his blog.

Now that those Yahoos are ruining my joy once again, (and they're not the only ones either - Bugger has let me down twice in the last 2 weeks, at crucial moments of needing to prove to others its worth :) I need to diversify more, break my lock ins and use more variety.

Creative Commons Licence

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons (Attribution) license.


Adski said...

I wondered when this would come up and bite you in the butt. Me personally, I like to own my own data.

Leigh Blackall said...

I don't at all feel like I've been bitten in the butt Adski. You're implying that I wasn't prepared for such a thing, and you're certainly sounding like one of those "I told you so" IT guys. I recall you running a certain blogging software, on a certain community group server... spam gettint the best of you your blog went down.

I've always tried to practice what I preach, and that is to be using the Internet in the best possible way as I might expect my students to. Those who either cannot afford servers, or simply don't have the time or motivation to keep up with various hosting solutions and fees.

Unfortunately for this post - a conversation about this "problem" has gone on in the TALO eGroup. I tend to be taking the line that I'm not so precious about my content, that I'm comfortable with the conversive nature of all this, and that if my services went down and I lost content, that would be a sign to me that my content wasn't worth much if it wasn't archive, cached or remixed by someone in my network.