Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Internet will be free. Free as in radio

Some day I hope we can enjoy 2 way Internet access and communications in much the same way we can enjoy radio. Free! I buy a handset, you buy a handset, "big daddy, big daddy do you copy? over"

Sean Fitzgerald has had some exciting insights into were and how free Internet may be possible:
I've just been getting into wifi lately, so I did a bit of research and found out that it is possible to set up community networks using affordable technology that allows everyone's wifi to act as a repeater station. This is called a mesh network. One Internet connection can be shared across a wide community.
Now all we need is for Sean to go back through his post and give us some links, and we're all well on our way to seeing this happen. I've been saving my links to my del.icio.us tag freewireless and may have had some success in inspiring my local council up here in the Blue Mountains to offer free WiFi from their buildings! But Sean's findings point to something very exciting indeed!


Creative Commons Licence

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons (Attribution) license.



No comments: