Friday, September 09, 2005


Robyn Jay posted to the EdNA group for Learnscope (closed) a link to Writely, a new (beta) web based word processor.

What does Writely do?
Writely allows you to edit documents online with whomever you choose, and then publish them online -- also for whomever you choose.

How is it different than a wiki?
For one thing, it has permissions, so that you can invite only you choose to edit or view your documents. For another, it's easy to use. ;)

Why should I try it?
Because it's new and cool! Seriously, though, if you need any of the features mentioned below, then this could be the tool you've been looking for.

What can I do with it?
You can:

* Upload Word documents, HTML or text (or create documents from scratch).
* Use our simple WSIWYG editor to format your documents.
* Edit documents online with whomever you choose.
* View your documents' complete revision history and roll back to any version.
* Publish documents online to the world, or to just who you choose.
* Download documents to your desktop as Word, HTML or zip.

The screen grabs look good, but I haven't tried it yet. If it has spell check and image load then I'm sold. Also it'd be good if it creates PDF and is usable on a PDA...


Alan said...

Dude, where's the link?

Leigh Blackall said...

Its in there now mate!

Sam Schillace said...

It does spellcheck and image upload. PDF is coming, PDA we're thinking about. We're also about to do a release that will let you push a document directly to blogger.

I've been rewarding people who blog about us with instant access to the site - email me, my first name at, with the email you want access for.


Leigh Blackall said...

Hi Sam,

What technology are you using to know about posts so fast?

I'd love to try it out. PDF and PDA will be great!

How doable would my idea be to help teachers write better texts etc...

A while back I posted Broadbanding Information describing an idea on how to get the information locked up in 'academic rigor' more readable and therefore accessible to a wider readership. I got a few positive responses to that initial idea, and subsequently want to suggest a way software developers could contribute.