Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Site Translation Tools - Are They Getting Closer?

Paul Pival, author of The Distant Librarian recently posted on the use of auto translation tools that could possibly assist when trying to reach international networks. He found the Fagan Translation Tool which offers code to add a link to your site that will take you to the Fagan Translator and theoretically translate your site. See my trial of the service in the links section of the right hand column when viewing this blog's pages.

Google has been offering such a service for quite a while now with some Asian languages in a beta stage of development. As far as I can tell though, Google doesn't yet offer any code to place a Google Translation link straight on your site - a big plus to the Fagan service.

4 comments:

Leigh Blackall said...

I couldn't get the Fagan to work, so have replaced the link on the side to go to Google's Language Services. Getting better results there even if it means a few extra clicks for the user...

Paul said...

Leigh, I think you just need to edit your blogger template to get the Fagan translator to work - I tried it in a couple of spots and ended up above my archives on this site: http://pival.blogspot.com/

The code is simply:

Other Languages

code generator is here: http://www.faganfinder.com/translate/this_page.php

(obviously you can make the link read whatever you like)

As you can see from my other blog (http://distlib.blogs.com) I was also able to score some nice code for the Google Translator - am seeking permission to share and will pass it on if I'm able...

Leigh Blackall said...

Thanks Paul, I just went to your site and tried to translate to Arabic. (No I don't read or speak it) I just wanted to see if it looked like working and how long it took. It seems that Fagan uses its links to other services around the world, because it sent me to a service where I needed to sign in! In the end I think Google's service has the greatest potential as it offers it all in the one place without the need to sign in for it. If you can find code that will offer a text entry field with "translate to: ____", that will simply translate the page without needing to go out and back, that would be perfect.

On the Fagan service, they do sem to offer more languages than Google, so it would be good to offer the link anyway for those whose language isn't yet available in Google.

Marcellg said...

As a website builder I have often used site translating tools but they still have an inherent problem, webdesign leeds uses the latest up to date translation software and online conversion tools but it seems they will never be as accurate as we want them to be, it is a problem with all language translation a certain degree of human interpretation is needed as it is not an exact science.