Wednesday, June 15, 2005

How Will We Assess Students Blogging

Given that Blogging is not for everyone and that not all students will benefit from it, how will we recognise those students who do blog and assess what they do in their blogs, without disadvantaging those who do not? Will student blogs simply become a channel in which they hand in assigned work, or will we develop ways to recognise and "measure" learning and community development contributions through blogging, without disadvantaging those who choose not to.

I think it is important that educational 'country clubs' make blogging recognition available, but not insinuate that blogging is mandatory.

This post is an amazing example of how my newsreader has pruned my search engine. I was only just this morning asking myself this question, making a mental note to look up some discussion on it, when low-n-behold, here it is in my newsreader fed by Will Richardson's blog!

Will points to Konrad Glogowski has a post up titled "Grading Conversations"

...What this means to me is that grading blogs (especially at the elementary level) has to be a very holistic process that focuses not only on the quality of their work but also on the extent to which their work reflects the context in which they work. I think that student bloggers should be recognized for writing as part of a larger community of inquirers.

2 comments:

Alice said...

Im a student blogger myself and am attempting to complete my assignment due this friday and of course, it will be handed in via my weblog!

I found your post particularly interesting as the same thought has been running through my head in the last couple of weeks as well.

Have a squiz through my blog and let me know what you think

Anonymous said...

heya leigh,


hope u r well mate. i saw your name on some blokes web log called sebastial (seblog).


what r u doing in the blue mountains? r they really blue?


take care,

craig.bellamy@milkbar.com.au